Based at the Phoenix Campus
The Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is an interdisciplinary College-wide program that prepares students to develop the public health skills needed to work in a variety of governmental and non-governmental settings including the local, county and state departments of health, the Indian Health Service, Medicaid and Medicare programs, hospitals, and community health centers.
Students learn to work effectively as part of multidisciplinary teams to develop, manage and evaluate public health programs designed to address health disparate populations.
The Public Health Practice concentration is geared toward students who are able to enroll in courses that utilize a combination of on-line, video conference, and in person teaching modalities. Students selecting the public health practice program should possess an academic background in a public health related field and/or experience working or volunteering within at least one public health program.
Course work includes subject matter in the core areas of public health:
- Environmental and occupational health
- Public health policy and management
- Socio-cultural and behavioral aspects of public health
Students obtain additional skills in the administration and fiscal management of programs that address the health beliefs in a variety of cultures.
Required Core Courses (16 units)
- EPID 573A Basic Principles of Epidemiology (3)
- PHPM 574 Public Health Policy and Management (3)
- EHS 575 Environmental and Occupational Health (3)
- BIOS 576A Biostatistics in Public Health (3)
- HPS 577 Sociocultural & Behavioral Aspects of Public Health (3)
- PHP 580 Integrated Public Health Learning Experience (1)
- Internship Preparation Workshop (required; non-credit)
- Interprofessional Education Activities (documentation required; non-credit)
Required Public Health Practice Courses (20 units)
- PHPM 569 Fundamentals of Health Budgeting and Financial Management (3)
- PHP 564 Science of Health Disparities (3)
- PHP 641 Health Systems Delivery (3)
- PHP 696V Public Health Practice Seminar (2)
- Planning/Evaluation Course (3) - Choose One:
- HPS 529 Project Design & Implementation (3) Or
- HPS 544 Fundamentals of Evaluation (3)
- Service Learning Course - (597 course within the College) approved by faculty mentor (1)
- PHP 909 Master's Report "Internship" (5)
Required Elective Courses (minimum 6 units)
Total Minimum Credit Requirement = 42 units
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health - Phoenix Campus
550 E. Van Buren Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85006
Contact Kim Barnes, MPH, Director of Student Affairs, Phoenix at (602) 827-2070 or email@example.com for more information regarding the Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice program.