Community, Environment & Policy Department
1656 E Mabel St.
Medical Research Building 112
PO Box: 245215
Tucson AZ 85724
Prof. of Public Health, University of Arizona
Prof. Emeritus, UCLA
Faculty, Asthma and Airway Disease Research Center
Dr. Harber is an occupational medicine researcher, clinician, and consultant with particular focus on occupational respiratory disease, respiratory protection, and information systems. While director of the U Arizona Occupational Health Office, he organized the development of a five-point plan for Occupational Health & Safety of the University staff members. Dr. Harber was recently awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM). He is the editor of the “Occupational Health in Higher Education and Research Institutions” book (available 9/21). He is a professor emeritus at UCLA, where he has been professor of Medicine and Family Medicine, chief of the Division of Occupational-Environmental Medicine, and director of the occupational-environmental medicine residency. He has served as chair of the NIOSH/CDC Study Section (IRG), vice chair of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) for preventive medicine RRC, Board of directors of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
MS Muhlenberg College
MD University of Pennsylvania
MPH Johns Hopkins University
Internal medicine residency-Georgetown/VA
Pulmonary medicine fellowship-Johns Hopkins
Occupational medicine fellowship-Johns Hopkins
Examples of Recent Publications:
- Harber P, Beckett W, Fedoruk J. Gases and Vapors Affecting Respiratory System In: Cohorssen B, Birkner J, eds. Patty's Industrial Hygiene. 7 ed: Wiley; 2020.
- Harber P. Asbestos, Pleural Plaques, and Lung Cancer: Untangling the Relationships. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020; 201: 4-6.
- Harber P, Leroy G. Informatics Approaches for Recognition, Management, and Prevention of Occupational Respiratory Disease. Clin Chest Med. 2020 Dec;41(4):605-621. doi: 10.1016/j.ccm.2020.08.008. PMID: 33153682
- Harber, P., Baker B, Russi M. (eds). Occupational Health for Higher Educational and Research Institutions. 2021 (expected Fall 2021)
- Malomet MS, Harber P. Website Survey Method for Assessing Higher Education Employee Health and Safety Programs. J Occup Environ Med. 2021 Feb 1;63(2):119-125. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000002091. PMID: 33229907
- Rains SA, Leroy G, Warner EL, Harber P. Psycholinguistic Markers of COVID-19 Conspiracy Tweets and Predictors of Tweet Dissemination. Health Commun. 2021 May 20:1-10. doi: 10.1080/10410236.2021.1929691. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34015987
Dr. Harber combines medicine and public health perspectives. His research interests currently focus upon occupational health in the higher education/research industry, informatics applications to occupational/environmental health, occupational respiratory epidemiology, respiratory protection, and quantitative decision analysis.