A career in public health opens the door to diverse opportunities in a variety of sectors such as federal, state and local governments, private corporations, and non-governmental organizations. Public health is a growing field and you can choose from many major fields of study, including: behavioral science, bioinformatics, biomedical laboratory, biostatistics, community health, environmental health, epidemiology, health communications, health education, health policy, health services administration, global health, maternal and child health, nutrition, occupational safety, and many others. Students are encouraged to explore the following pages to learn more about these options:
- What Can You Do With a Public Health Degree?
- Public Health Areas of Study
- Public Health - Careers
- Public Health Career Guide
- A Guide to Public Health Careers
Because the skills that one gets as a public health major are transferrable, students can choose to pursue public health careers or careers in other fields. These transferrable skills include: team work, effective written and verbal communication, program planning and evaluation, and problem solving. Many students also find that the public health major provides them a strong foundation for a graduate or professional degree in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and other health professions.
Public Health Career Links
The Office of Student Services and Alumni Affairs encourages you to review the public health career opportunities found on the following websites:
- AZ State Jobs - for all positions at the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) and all other Arizona departments and agencies
- Arizona Counties - search individual county health departments
- Arizona Public Health Association
- For another State, you may want to visit the website for that State's health department. An easy way to search for the desired website is via www.google.com.
- Prevention Institute
- The Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) - positions in states, cities, and counties nationwide and in ASTHO headquarters
- National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO) - positions in local health departments nationwide and in NACCHO headquarters
- Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health - nationwide positions and requires free registration
- American Public Health Association Public Health Career Mart
- Public Health Employment Connection
- The United States Department of Health and Human Services
- HP Career Net
- The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Westat - an employee-owned research corporation serving agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments.
- Federal government jobs, job series 685 is public health analyst
- Government jobs for students
- Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs
- Health Care Administration Careers and Education